It’s February, and love is in the air. We thought we’d get in on that!
10 Things to Know & Love About Your Library
1. The library is free, and so are many of the vital resources and programs available to you. Douglas County Libraries (DCL) gives kids and adults of all income levels, ethnicities, and physical abilities free access to early and adult literacy programs, reading programs like Bark for Books and Reading Buddies, imagination-encouraging play environments, tech tutoring and assistance, internet and Wi-Fi, public computers, nontraditional items like hotspots and GoPros, and more. Come in and see for yourself!
2. The library is a community space. You belong here, where there are plenty of comfortable spaces and nooks to relax, read and browse, not to mention DCL’s beautiful, state-of-the-art amenities for celebrations, meetings, tutoring and learning.
3. It’s a safe place for kids when they’re not in school. Kids and libraries just go together. It’s the ideal place for kids to improve reading skills and boost confidence through kid-centric programs and book clubs, use the public computers for homework help, and attend after-school programs and events that make the library a fun place to be. And the library’s spring and summer day camps give kids the chance to try new activities while enjoying a break from school.
4. This is where like-minded people meet, gather, and stay connected. Book clubs, lifelong learning events, drop-in craft and needlework groups, cultural programs and events … there is always something happening at our libraries to keep you actively engaged with others and your community.
5. DCL is active in the Douglas County community. Outreach and partnerships through programs like homebound delivery, Cuddle Up & Read, Book Start, Children’s Hospital initiatives, Operation Paperback, Battle of the Books, and more are strong.
6. The library is where people come to innovate. We love it when great minds meet in our spaces to talk about ideas, collaborate and create.
7. It’s a great place to meet authors! DCL author events give book lovers of all ages the opportunity to meet favorite authors, share a laugh, get an autographed book, and maybe even take a photo or two. We shamelessly indulge your love of reading.
8. Cool library perks! Sometimes, a DCL library card really is all you need. In addition to all the books and usual fare, you can access free audiobooks, music, e-books, and other digital media; state parks passes; museum and cultural attractions passes; local merchant discounts; online learning and craft classes; and so much more.
9. The library helps boost workforce and economic development. DCL gives telecommuters spaces in which to work, free internet access for people seeking employment opportunities and skills development, and access to information services for entrepreneurs and small businesses through DCL for Business.
10. We love helping people reach their personal and educational goals. DCL’s Career Online High School diploma program, citizenship and ESL programs, and adult tutoring services open the door to achieving personal goals and success for our neighbors. What’s not to love about that?
“My encouragement to you is to go tomorrow to the library.”
– Poet Maya Angelou, during a speech to a college audience that encouraged students to read voraciously and never stop learning