Looking for some new ideas for your child’s lunch box? Here’s a great list of cookbooks to check out to step up your lunch game. They include a wide variety of options, from inventive sandwiches to cute bento boxes. Here’s a delicious sandwich and easy mason jar salad to use this week:
Saucisson & Cornichon from The Little Book of Lunch
- 2 slices of multigrain bread
- soft butter
- 2-inch pieces of saucisson (dried salami)
- 1 tbsp of cornichons
Butter bread slices. Slice cornichons and place on one slice of bread. Place saucisson slices on other side. Wrap in foil.
Barley & Kale Salad from Mason Jar Salads
- 1 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 3 tablespoons White Wine Vinaigrette (see below)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1/2 cup quartered cucumber
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 cups roughly chopped kale
- 1 quart-size Mason jar
Pour water into a saucepan over high heat, add pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Add the barley, reduce the temperature, and simmer, covered, for 10-12 minutes, or until the water has evaporated. Set aside and let cool while you prepare the rest of the salad.
Pour vinaigrette into the Mason jar. Add layers of diced onion, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, 1 cup of the cooked barley, and red bell pepper. Fill the rest of the jar with kale. Seal and refrigerate until ready to use.
White Wine Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- pinch of salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Whisk together vinegar, salt and pepper. Slowly add the olive oil, whisking until thickened.