In the spirit of Back to School, we asked our Facebook fans for their most loved and most reviled required reads. The loves were far more diverse with 69 different titles compared to only 63 titles on the loathed list. Often someone’s favorite was another person’s least favorite; 22 titles appeared on both the loved and loathed lists. In fact, all of the books in the top-fives listed below appeared on both lists. The sign of great literature is how many emotions a book evokes. As Edmund Wilson once said, “No two persons ever read the same book.”
Here are Douglas County’s favorites:
- 1st Place: To Kill a Mockingbird
- 2nd Place: The Great Gatsby
- 3rd Place: My Antonia & Wuthering Heights
- 5th Place: The Grapes of Wrath & The Scarlet Letter
These are Douglas County’s least favorite:
- 1st Place: Lord of the Flies
- 2nd Place: The Old Man and the Sea
- 3rd Place: Moby Dick
- 4th Place: The Catcher in the Rye
- 5th Place: The Grapes of Wrath
To see the full list of Douglas County’s favorites, go here.
To see the full list of Douglas County’s least favorites, go here.
What do you think? Is your most loved and most hated book from your school days listed above? Tell us yours in the comments.