The new year is here, which means it’s an opportune time to wipe the proverbially slate clean and start fresh. 2017 is so last year — it’s time for brand-new resolutions, and maybe even a few bookish ones.
You make ‘em, and DCL can help you stick to them! 2018 is going to be a piece of cake (or whole-grain deliciousness, depending on the resolution).
Resolutions That Stick!
Resolution: Save money, but still enjoy life.
Stick to It: Let’s count the ways DCL can help you save money using just your library card:
- Check out DCL Local for great deals and discounts at area shops and restaurants.
- Get free passes to local museums and cultural attractions with Adventure Pass.
- Watch the best movies by conveniently downloading or streaming them to your device via Hoopla. Cost to you: $0.
- Read the newest books coming out, or the classics you’ve been meaning to get to. You can easily stream or download books for free using OverDrive and Hoopla.
- Go ahead and splurge on that new gadget you’ve been eyeing, but do your research first at Consumer Reports to get the best deal.
- Get fit without the expense of special classes. Hoopla offers a variety of health and fitness videos you can stream or download for free.
Resolution: Learn some skills, or at least some new ones!
Stick to It: Lynda.com makes it easy to brush up on skills, learn new ones, or just polish the old resume. All you need is your library card number.
Resolution: Help my child become a stronger reader.
Stick to It: Struggling readers can gain reading skills and confidence through DCL’s Bark for Books and Reading Buddies programs.
- Bark for Books allows kids to read out loud to trained dogs in a relaxed setting, with no judgement from classmates or parents. This kind of practice helps improve reading skills and build confidence.
- The Reading Buddies program pairs kids ages 6-9 with trained teen volunteers for reading practice and literacy-based games.
Resolution: Cook healthy meals.
Stick to It: A new year calls for new recipes. Check out these cookbooks for healthy eating.
Resolution: Learn a new language.
Stick to It: Get started with Mango Languages via the Research page on this website. Learning with Mango is easier than you think, and you can do it from the comfort of home, the coffee shop, or even the airport. All you need is your library card number.
Sticking to your resolutions can make for a much happier new year. Here’s to that!