Staying in town for spring break? Here are eight great ways to turn the kids’ time off into a fun staycation.
1. Explore the Outdoors
Douglas County is home to some pretty awesome state parks and a short drive to several others. Round up the kids and go — for a hike, wildlife viewing, a family picnic, or all of the above. Stop by your library for a free state park pass with one of our Check Out Colorado backpacks.
2. Plan an Adventure
Did you know you can get free passes to local museums and cultural attractions using your library card? Get your Adventure Pass and spend the week exploring Butterfly Pavilion, Dinosaur Ridge, Molly Brown House Museum (NEW!), Denver Firefighters Museum, or four other attractions.
3. Play Games
Plan an epic game day at home, or stop by one of these libraries for an evening of games:
- Lone Tree Low-Tech Gaming Group: 6-8:30 p.m., Monday, March 19, Lone Tree. Registration suggested.
- Castle Rock Chess Club: 6-8:30 p.m., Monday, March 19, Castle Rock. No registration required.
- Parker Chess Club: 7-9 p.m., Thursday, March 22, Parker. No registration required.
4. Host a Family-Friendly Film Festival
5. Challenge the Kids to a Bake-Off
Make it a contest or do it for fun. Baking with the kids can be such a treat — and you can share the baked goodies with friends, neighbors and family. Check out these kid-friendly cookbooks, and heat those ovens!
6. Go ‘Camping’
Camp DCL’s weeklong, half-day camps — Be a Builder and Be a STEAM-y Chef — allow kids ages 6-12 to have fun with hands-on projects while learning important skills. Check out a typical day at Camp DCL. There are still a few spots available — register today!
7. Start a Garden
Early spring is a great time to start your garden. Why not get the kids involved? Spend some time each day putting together a creative container garden. Here are some books and ideas to get you going.
8. Cultivate Creativity
- Craft Lab: 2-4 p.m., Sunday, March 18. No registration required.
- Open Studio: 6:30-8:30 p.m., Thursday, March 22. No registration required.