For immediate release: March 13, 2019
Douglas County Libraries in Highlands Ranch, James H. LaRue branch (9292 S. Ridgeline Blvd.), is excited to reopen to the public with a Grand Reopening Celebration on Saturday, April 6, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Library patrons will again have full access to all library services, the physical collection, children’s Storytimes, and numerous new and upgraded amenities throughout the branch. The festivities kick off at 9 a.m. with a ribbon-cutting ceremony and remarks from library staff and special guests, followed by family-friendly activities throughout the day.
“The community has been so supportive throughout our time of reduced services and construction, and we’re excited to show off their new library,” said Highlands Ranch Branch Manager Tammy Clausen.
The new and updated features patrons can use and enjoy include:
- Active and interactive areas for children, such as the expanded farm-to-table Market playscape and Kids Corner Storytime space.
- Increased meeting and community spaces, and state-of-the-art technology in meeting and study rooms.
- A new shade structure on the second-floor terrace that overlooks Civic Green Park.
- Laptop borrowing using a library card.
- A larger, more flexible Event Hall space, plus an additional conference room and study room.
- Dedicated spaces for tutoring and family activities.
- Increased square footage available for public use.
The first floor houses the youth collection and children’s spaces, with adult materials and quiet reading spaces located on the second floor. Features important to the community were retained with the renovation, including the Second Chapter Used Bookstore, now located on the library’s second floor; an updated commemorative book wall; and the veterans’ display case. Book donations will also resume upon the reopening.
“Though no additional square footage was added during the renovation, every square foot of existing space has been touched, and patrons will see parts of the library they’ve never seen before,” Clausen said.
The community is invited to explore the refreshed library and get familiar with all its new features and amenities. A variety of spring-themed activities and crafts for kids and families will be sprinkled throughout the branch, with Storytimes occurring at 10 a.m., 11 a.m., 12 p.m., 1 p.m., 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. Light snacks and refreshments will also be served throughout the day.
For more information, visit DCL.org or call (303) 791-7323.
Douglas County Libraries elevates our community by inspiring a love of reading, discovery and connection.